School of Informatics and Computing
Indiana University Bloomington
Informatics East, Rm 316
919 E 10th Street, Bloomington, IN 47408
Phone: +1 (812) 856 2920
Office hour: Tuesday and Thursday 11am-noon
Book an appointment: http://doodle.com/yyahn
(be sure to check the timezone setting and to suggest multiple slots)
My CV containing the full publication list is here.
I am an assistant professor at Indiana University School of Informatics and Computing and a co-founder of Janys Analytics. I was a postdoctoral researcher at the Center for Complex Network Research at Northeastern University and a visiting researcher at the Center for Cancer Systems Biology at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute from June 2008 till May 2011. My post-doctoral advisor was Albert-László Barabási. I received my Ph.D. from Physics Department at KAIST in early 2008. My advisor was Hawoong Jeong.
I am interested in the structure and dynamics of complex systems, such as society and living organisms. So, I usually play with massive datasets and muse on the hidden patterns. My recent work covers several area such as the hierarchical & modular structure in social and biological networks (e.g. Nature 466, 761-764, 2010, Science 333, 601, 2011 ), the analysis of metabolic networks (e.g. PNAS 107, 1082-1087, 2010), social media (e.g. twitter – pulse of the nation), and food (Sci. Rep. 1, 196, 2011).
- The paper “Mobile Communications Reveal the Regional economy in Côte D’ivoire” is accepted at NetMob 2013 Data for Development Challenge (D4D). Congratulations Huina Mao, Xin Shuai, and Johan Bollen!
- Jan. 5, 2013: I’m happy to give a talk at the Workshop on Time-Dependent and Multiplex Networks (July 8-9, 2013).
- Aug. 27, 2012: I’m delighted to attend Wolfram Data Summit 2012 and give an invited talk.
- Feb. 7, 2012: Our paper “Flavor network and the principles of food pairing” was the most downloaded (more than 116,000 times) paper on all of nature.com in December 2011, including Nature and all other Nature-branded journals.
- Jan. 25, 2012: I was selected as one of the two winners of 2012 OYRA (Outstanding Young Researcher Award) by AKPA (Association of Korean Physicists in America).
(underlined authors contributed equally)
Flavor network and the principles of food pairing
Y.-Y. Ahn, S. Ahnert, J. P. Bagrow, and A.-L. Barabási
Scientific Reports 1, 196 (2011) [Link] [arXiv] [poster] [Ingredient-compounds dataset]
[Nature News] [Technology Review] and [more]
Evidence for Network Evolution in an Arabidopsis Interactome Map
Arabidopsis Interactome Mapping Consortium
Science 333, 601 (2011) [Link]
Link communities reveal multiscale complexity in networks
Y.-Y. Ahn, J. P. Bagrow, and S. Lehmann
Nature 466, 761 (2010). [Link] [arXiv] [source codes & visualization] [Talk slides]
[news@Northeastern] [한겨레 사이언스온]
Pulse of the Nation: visualizing the mood of twitter
A. Mislove, S. Lehmann, Y.-Y. Ahn, J.-P. Onnela, J. N. Rosenquist
[Project page] [YouTube]
[Slashdot] [NewScientist] [CBS] [BBC] [NYTimes] [and more]
A blueprint for antimicrobial hit discovery targeting metabolic networks
Y. Shen, J. Liu, G. Estiu, B. Isin, Y.-Y. Ahn, D.-S. Lee, A.-L. Barabási, V. Kapatral, O. Wiest, and Z. N. Oltvai
PNAS 107, 1082 (2010). [Link]
Analysis of Topological Characteristics of Huge Online Social Networking Services
Y.-Y. Ahn, S. Han, H. Kwak, S. Moon, and H. Jeong
WWW2007 – In Proceedings of International World Wide Web Conference, 2007 [PDF] [Updated & corredted PDF] [Data]